W E L C O M E B A C K ! ! !
Firstly, If you have missed any of the last few week’s Transparent Tuesday: Part 4 , Transparent Tuesday: Part 5 , or Transparent Tuesday: Part 6 (Part 7 was nonexistant.), then go check them out and get caught up because this is SERIES-CEPTION. I’m doing a DCP (Disney College Program) topic series within the series Transparent Tuesdays. You have already missed DCP- Roomies, DCP- Roles, and DCP-Applications-but don’t worry, I linked them so you don’t miss out on all the fun.
Welcome back this week to DCP- Perks and Bucket Lists
There are several benefits you get when you work for the Mouse in the DCP:
- It’s a paid internship, so that, in itself is a perk. CPs make anywhere from $10-$12.31 an hour in 2017. It changes often so more research may be required whenever you decide to apply.
- Entrance to all U.S. Disney parks (Florida and California).
- Guest passes for friends/family. 3 passes for every 150 hours worked and a max of 9 passes per year.
- AT LEAST 20% off merchandise bought directly from the Company.
- Various dining discounts at various locations on property.
- Private shops- Company D or Cast Connections. You have to be an employee or with an employee to shop at these locations. You can get various exclusive and/or discounted merchandise.
- Discounts on tickets to parks and park events.
- Backstage tours periodically. At least the opportunity to do so. (I toured Haunted Mansion during my program!)
- Free parking at Disney parks. Also free locker rental.
- DCP Housing. Some call it a burden, some call it a perk. Mickey’s retreat is right by housing and it is definitely a perk.
- Local area businesses often offer Cast Member discounts.
- Significant discount on last minute cruises.
That is certainly not all the perks of the program, but it is the bulk of the discounts and free stuff that you will get from the Company.
The other fun thing people do for the DCP is create Bucket Lists for their programs. You know, things that they want to do during their time working for the company. Here are some examples of things that could be put on your bucket list:
Things to Do/See:
- Ride every single ride/ see every single attraction in the parks.
- See every show/parade/fireworks.
- Go to the park and take pictures all day!
- Dapper Day!
- See your favorite character.
- Go to Jellyrolls.
- Volunteer for Give Kids the World or VoluntEARS.
- See a show at House of Blues in Disney Springs.
- Visit all of the resorts.
- 4 parks/1 day.
- See rope drop at each park.
- Backstage tour.
- Celebrate something with a celebration button.
- Try every form of Disney transport- Ferry, Monorail, Bus, etc.
- Get a picture of an empty Main Street USA.
- Buy a Mickey balloon.
- Go to the Water parks.
- Explore every country in the world showcase at EPCOT.
- Try all the drinks in Club Cool- even the Beverly.
- Take a picture at all of the various ‘walls’.
- See the Tree of Life awakening.
- Get a Cupcake from the Sprinkles ATM.
- Bowl at Splitsville.
- See a movie in Disney Springs- preferably a new release Disney movie.
- Stay a night at one of the moderate or deluxe resorts.
- Go to CP Events- at least the big ones:
- Welcome event
- Starlit Splash or Formal (depending on season.)
Things to Eat:
- Something from every pavilion in the world showcase at EPCOT.
- Kitchen Sink from Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club.
- Mickey Ice Cream bar from literally anywhere.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Milkshake from 50s Prime Time at Hollywood Studios.
- Lefou’s Brew from Gaston’s Tavern in Magic Kingdom.
- Chili Cheese Dog from Casey’s Corner in Magic Kingdom.
- Frozen Violet Lemonade from EPCOT during the Flower and Garden festival.
- Carrot Cake Cookie from Sweet Spells in Hollywood Studios.
- Turkey Leg from just about anywhere in the parks.
- Fruit Sushi from the Japan Pavilion in EPCOT.
- Dole Whip from Aloha Aisle in Magic Kingdom or from Pineapple Lanai at the Polynesian resort.
- The Grey Stuff from Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom.
- Mac and Cheese Hot Dog from Restaurantasaurus in Animal Kingdom.
- Chocolate/Caramel/ANYTHING Covered Candy Apples from just about any shop with candy on property.
- Chocolate/Caramel/ANYTHING Covered Rice Krispy Treats from just about any shop that sells candy.
- Brownie Sundae from Ghirardelli in Disney Springs.
- Tonga Toast from the Polynesian Village.
- Mickey Waffles from literally any resort or restaurant that serves breakfast.
- Cream Cheese Mickey Pretzel from The Launching Pad in Magic Kingdom.
Things to Buy (Souvenirs):
- Pins- from each park, favorite character, events, holiday’s etc.
- T-shirts- each park, events, etc.
- Favorite character stuffed animal or figurine.
- Cast member exclusive merchandise:
- Magnet and/or Sticker
- Cup/Bottle/Drink ware in park, but not Starbucks.
- EARS! EARS! EARS! ALL THE EARS!
- Christmas ornament.
- Resort mug.
- Alex and Ani bracelet.
- Specialty Vera Bradley or Dooney bag.
- Pandora bracelet and Disney charms.
- Picture frame.
- Merch from special parties/events.
Work Bucket List:
- Earn your ears.
- Pick up a PAC shift.
- Pick up a treat shift.
- Pick up a party/rental shift.
- Pick up a screaming fans shift.
- Pick up a Christmas party shift.
- Give and receive a 4 keys card.
Orlando Area Bucket List (Non-Disney Stuff):
- Go to the outlet malls.
- Ride the Orlando Eye.
- Do an escape room with friends on the program.
- Go to a beach.
- Go to Universal and all of it’s parks.
- See Celebration, FL (Kind of Disney related because it is the Disney town.).
- Universal CityWalk.
For the most part, this is pretty much a base list. You could add so much more (and of course take away some). If you do a quick Google search for ‘DCP Bucket List’ or anything of the like, you will see many more examples and actual bucket lists people used for their programs. There are so many and all in so many different formats. Many are broken down into several categories- more than I used. Some are just one big list. Some are only major things while others are every single little thing that they want to do while they are down there.
Just to recap this entire series-ception:
We have had: DCP-Roomies, Roles, Applications, and Perks/Bucket Lists.
See you next week for DCP- Terminology and Jargon!
(Also you can see https://jobs.disneycareers.com/disney-college-program for official information on the DCP.)
Don’t forget to like//comment/sub at the bottom of the page!